Friday, March 20, 2009

DRAWING NEAR


Philippians 4:4-9


Paul is encouraging the Philippian Christians to act as ones who know they are Children of the King. These followers are to rejoice in the Lord at all times, and to let their gentle spirit be known because the Lord is near.
Because the Lord is near they are to lay down their anxiety, and to let the Lord know their concerns about all things. When they do this Paul teaches that Gods peace will guard their hearts and minds. This peace comes through practice (v.9) as the Lord draws near.
I see so much of God "Our Heavenly Father" in this, and it reminds me of a goal Joanna and I have in parenting our children. We desire to cultivate an environment in our home now that will result in good communication with our kids later. This is difficult for me. I'm an introvert. At times I find communicating exhausting. My daughter, Savannah, seems to thrive on the energy she gets from social interaction, and she is only 4 years old!
Just as God knows we face anxiety, fear and concern about many things, I also know Savannah faces these. And as God draws near to me desiring me to talk about my life concerns, I desire to draw near to my daughter so she knows me, and is comfortable talking to me about her concerns.
At her age the communication is more important than what we talk about. This is true of us and God. Paul teaches in verse 6 "...in everything...let your requests be known." God desires us to bring our concerns in conversation before Him. We are free to talk about any of them, what we talk about is less significant than the drawing near.
Because I understand Paul encourages the Philippians to practice this, I also want to help Savannah practice how to have effective and proper conversation. Recently our son, Matthias, was born. As you can imagine things around our home are a bit crazy! I have been wondering about Savannah's heart during this transition, so when I had the opportunity to talk to her alone while riding in the car I took advantage of it:

Me: Do you want to talk?
S: About what Daddy?
Me: I just want to say that I love you, and had a good time with you.
S: Is that what you want to talk about Daddy?
Me: Yes. I hope you will always talk to me and Mommy.
S: About what Daddy?
Me: Everything. How you feel, if you are happy or sad...
S: Daddy. Sometimes when you and Mommy take care of Matthias I feel sad.
Me: What does sad feel like to you?
S: I feel like there is nobody to take care of me.
And there was the fruit...

Now, because I know what Savannah is feeling I can properly minister grace into her situation, bringing peace to her heart, helping her think upon what is good, lovely, and worthy of praise.
Robert Wolgemuth wrote,

"The ability of you and your daughter to effectively exchange words, and the feelings they're usually connected to, will provide the bridge between you that will last the rest of your life."

While I freely admit I desire that nearness to last the rest of my life, I have a far greater desire for that bridge to extend back into the arms of Christ. As I look toward models for fathering I can think of no better example than God the Father. So in my sinful attempt to model His drawing near to us I hope to point my children beyond myself and toward the cross of Christ, which is the greatest example in history of God drawing near to His children, granting peace through the riches of salvation.


James 4:10 "Humble yourself in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you."

Psalm 145:18 "The Lord is near to all who call upon Him."

Hebrews 4:16 "Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

0 comments: