Sunday, December 14, 2008

THE GREATEST OF THESE REASONS


Saturday morning we were locked out of our home. I had thrown my keys on the kitchen table because Joanna was planning on driving me to work. She thought I grabbed her keys. What had started out as a peaceful family morning was about to turn sour. If our neighbors had been watching what they would have seen was a display of my sinful nature.

Upon reflection I realize that my actions were a response to the stresses of the moment. My reaction, that's important to note. I had a choice to react differently, but I chose to be angry at my wife for not bringing out her keys. I did not have to be angry. I chose to be. I also chose to be anxious because by this time I was late for work. I care about what people would think of me. I want to be known as reliable, and dependable, and being late could stain my good image.

Quickness to anger, and fear of man are unfortunately sins I recognize in myself. God was teaching me and my lesson was not over. Since we moved from our apartment into this house I have noticed that I have been dealing with fearful thoughts stemming from issues of security. We are more in the city now, and one window in the house is broken. I thought I had secured it until it could be repaired. As I was circling he house trying to break in I decided to try the window I had secured. I removed the screen and knocked the window with the palm of my hand totally expecting it to remain firmly in place. Instead the entire window fell backwards out of the frame into the house. It was in this moment I realized that I had been holding on to a false sense of security. How foolish to trust in locked doors and windows. Anyone who wanted in the house clearly is going to get in the house regardless of how secure it is. I need to place my faith and trust in God and not locks and keys.

What does this lesson from the Lord teach me? I am prideful, and I don't trust God. I am in desperate need of the Gospel. The only hope for my sinfulness is the grace of God, His forgiveness obtained by the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. I needed that grace the moment I first believed in Him, and I need it still today as I continue to allow Him to conform me more and more into His image. Clearly He has much work left to do with me. How thankful I am for the coming of Christ into our world. During this season of advent I have many reasons to be thankful. The forgiveness of sins and the promise of eternal life found only through Jesus Christ are the greatest of these reasons.

And if you think God was done teaching me this weekend you should have seen my reaction this morning when Joanna asked me the question, "Steve did you park the car in the cul-de-sac"?

3 comments:

Tommy Waltz said...

so where was the car in question???

Spack said...

It was supposed to be warming up in the driveway. Guess the emergency break doesn't work! Somehow, Praise God, it rolled out of the driveway without hitting anything and stopped in the middle of the cul de sac. I could almost swear someone moved it...

Joanna said...

i'm so glad you have a sense of humor! :)