Saturday, August 30, 2008

CRAFTED BY GRACE


Have you ever remembered something you learned years ago that in your present circumstances spoke to your heart in such a way that it moved you to a new level of understanding and appreciation for that knowledge?

This happened to me recently as I was reading a book by Jerry Bridges called Disciplines of Grace. In this book Bridges asks his readers to think about a sculpture of a man, who physically appears perfect in every way. The sculpture's physical features are perfect, but from his thighs downward he is unfinished, a mound of unsculpted bronze. In his hands the artist crafted a chisel and a hammer. The message seems clear, the artist wanted us to understand something along the lines of we choose our own destiny, or I can fix myself, I am in control.

The subjects hands are battered from misplaced strokes of the hammer, constant reminders of his own mistakes. Not knowing if the next strike of the chisel will cut himself off at the knee or allow him to move further toward his goal, he continues pridefully thinking I can do this. Bridges notes:
"I marveled at how [the statue] did depict so well the way many Christians try to live the Christian life."

Is there anything wrong with this thinking? Aren't we according to scripture supposed to pursue godliness? Doesn't 1 Timothy 4:7 say "...discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness"?

And what about Philippians 3:12-14 "Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus." Doesn't this mean that I am responsible for pursuing my perfection?

If we are understanding scripture correctly we must answer these questions in light of the statement "...for which I was laid hold of." Who laid hold of me? Jesus. Why? So I could pursue perfection. Perfection supposes change. We also know from scripture that the Holy Spirit is the agent of change. We actively pursue this change because we are taught in Hebrews 12:14 that without it no one will see God. 12:15 adds "See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God..."

We can change, but not on our own, it must be anchored to the work of the Holy Spirit through the grace of God. This is such good, and freeing news. Why? Grace is God's unmerited favor toward those who deserve only His wrath. Although we are sinners deserving of punishment, and discipline God, through the death and resurrection of His son Jesus Christ has graciously chosen to forgive us.

When we admit that we are hopelessly lost sinners doomed for punishment, and in need of a savior, God points us to the work of Jesus. By accepting the atoning work of the cross and resurrection we are united with Christ and in a sense covered by Him. The favor of the Father toward His Son becomes ours. We are clothed in favor. The Father no longer looks on us as sinners, but as complete in Christ. Totally accepted, totally forgive, totally free. It's His grace that frees us. There is nothing we can do on our own to be accepted.

Ephesians 2:8-9 "For it is by grace that you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast."

My daughter has my acceptance. She is completely loved. Her position with me is set regardless of her obedience. I love her. Certainly she faces consequences when she does wrong, but she is never unloved, even in correction. Her position is not based upon performance. We are Saved by God's grace and our position of accepted in Christ does not change based upon our performance since we cannot earn God's blessings (see Ephesians 2:8-9).

The reminder of this lesson was so meaningful to me because many times I have fallen into the trap of misunderstanding Gods grace. Reviewing this truth has reminded me that on my worst spiritual days, the days I completely give in to sin, live for my pleasures, and just completely fail my God that I am still accepted, because my position is not based on my performance. There was nothing I could do to earn God's favor, it was a gift of grace, there is nothing I can do to lose it. On the other hand when I live out the best spiritual day, a day when I really connect with God, read my Bible, pray, and love others more than me I am still desperate for God's grace. Why? Because my position is not based upon my performance. I am a child of God, saved, accepted not by my good works, but only by His grace.

DON'T YOU SENSE THE FREEDOM IN THIS TEACHING?

Praise you Father for loving us so much that you sent your Son to free us from the bonds of sin, not according to our worthless works, but according to your amazing grace!

0 comments: